APPLETON (WLUK) -- Carter Robinson always dreamed of playing college football since he threw his first pass and Wednesday he officially realized it.
The Appleton North quarterback signed a preferred walk-on scholarship offer to play at Utah, which last season competed in the PAC-12 title game.
"It's been a dream of mine ever since I was a little kid, ever since I started playing," Robinson said. "So be able to accomplish that goal and reach D1 and now obviously there are more goals to chase and hopefully become a starter and earn that scholarship. I'm going to work my tail off, compete and I guess see where it goes from there."
Robinson, listed at 6-foot, 186 pounds last season, will likely redshirt next year and then hope to compete.
"I've competed with some high-level quarterbacks before and this is no different and I'm going to go in with the same mentality -- work hard and hopefully get that starting spot," Robinson said.
Last season, Robinson completed 169 of 279 passes for 2,001 yards with 26 touchdowns and seven interceptions as North compiled a 6-4 record. North coach Rob Salm believes Robinson has the ability to compete at a major college.
"There's a lot of characteristics that go into being that type of athlete," Salm said. "Carter has many of them. His drive, his work ethic, his confidence. He believes in himself. He feels like if someone says he can't do it he's going to work that much harder to prove that he can.
"He's undersized, he's not this. To him it's just motivation and that's what those rare athletes need and Carter certainly has that."
Robinson said he will leave for Utah in June and enroll in summer classes before opening training camp in August.
- Josh Cribben, DL, Notre Dame: Michigan Tech
- Logan Eiden, LB, Neenah: Valparaiso
- Makaio Harn, RB, New London: Bemidji State
- Abe Elazazy, DL, Menasha: Concordia-St. Paul (Minn.)
- Liam McDonough, OL, West De Pere: Michigan Tech
- Alex Solak, OL, Menasha: Lindenwood University (Mo.)
- Liam Fahey, OL, Pulaski: Minnesota-Duluth
- Mitch Chosa, LB, Notre Dame: Michigan Tech
- Sam Pitz, TE, Appleton West: Minnesota-Duluth
- Kelland Wandtke, OL, Iola-Scandinavia, Bemidji State
Follow Doug Ritchay on Twitter @dougritchay