DE PERE (WLUK) --This week the WIAA issued a release showing the percentages of schools participating in each of the 10 fall sports and leading the way is boys and girls cross country at 82 percent.
According to Neenah junior cross country runner Austin Henderson, despite the guidelines because of COVID-19, so far the season seems familiar.
"It's really been quite similar to what its been in previous seasons," he said. "Just adapting for the COVID and wearing the mask and spacing, but the practices have been pretty similar."
Meanwhile, 68 percent of the schools that play football in the state will tee it up this fall and West De Pere coach Chris Greisen was cautiously optimistic his team would be one of them. The Phantoms were also helped out by being invited back to the Vbay Conference after the Fox River Classic decided to move fall sports to the spring.
"I was always optimistic," Greisen said. "I wouldn't necessarily say confident, but optimistic. We were bound and determined to do everything we could that we could control, that we were going to find a way to play and allow these kids to play football."
COVID_19 has forced football teams to work out differently as they prepare for the start of practice next week -- the season can start as early as Sept. 23. Menasha coach Jeramie Korth said his team has been mindful of the guidelines.
"Kids have been great,": Korth said. "They come out here, they're training and we've got them spaced out on the football field for 10 yards, line going all the way across and doing a lot of different types of training they're used and I think training that will get them in shape for football, but ultimately I think we're just happy to get back on the field."
PERCENTAGE OF SPORTS PARTICIPATION
- Boys Cross Country – 82% (348 Fall), 18% (76 Alternate Fall)
- Girls Cross Country – 82% (346 Fall), 18% (75 Alternate Fall)
- 8-Player Football – 81% (38 Fall), 19% (9 Alternate Fall)
- Girls Golf – 74% (129 Fall), 26% (46 Alternate Fall)
- Girls Volleyball – 74% (353 Fall), 26% (121 Alternate Fall)
- Girls Tennis – 73% (150 Fall), 27% (55 Alternate Fall)
- 11-Player Football – 68% (256 Fall), 32% (121 Alternate Fall)
- Boys Soccer – 64% (181 Fall), 36% (101 Alternate Fall)
- Girls Swimming & Diving –63% (88 Fall), 37% (51 Alternate Fall)
- Boys Volleyball – 63% (38 Fall), 37% (22 Alternate Fall)
*According to the WIAA